About Me

My photo
Dan Garcia resides in San Antonio, Texas, in a household ruled by a dog and a cat. These benign overlords allow Garcia, his wife, and two daughters to live with them so long as they are served unquestioningly. The dog and cat compel Garcia to write stories of imaginative fiction and fantasy; their rationale being: the potential for supplementary income from the sale of these stories means the possibility of more treats and toys for them. Thus, when not at work at the San Antonio Public Library, Garcia is permitted to craft his tales despite the fact that this activity limits his availability for scratching and petting. Hell-Kind is Garcia’s first novel which he was allowed to type because of his opposable thumbs and agile digits; the dog and cat did all of the actual heavy-lifting for the story, and are not particularly concerned with receiving credit for the book.

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

What I'm writing for NaNoWriMo...

None of your business! :)

The idea in production is a secret.  Why?  Because I'm a superstitious old dog.  I will say that it is a paranormal story, and that it is intended to be a Juvenile Fiction story... intended, I'm not sure it's succeeding at that just yet.

I will post the same synopsis I posted on the NaNoWriMo site, but that's all I'm saying for now and I'm not posting the title because it's a working title and it will change.  So, without further ado, here's the synopsis:


On the eve of his twelfth birthday, Phillip Gómez is sent to live with his grandmother in El Paso, Texas after his mother is killed in a car accident.  Accustomed to life in Chicago, Phillip experiences a great degree of culture shock as he tries to assimilate into his new surroundings.  Things are made more complicated for him when he accidentally insults the spirit animal Alacran (scorpion) during a trek into the desert with his elderly neighbor, Don Alfonso.  Don Alfonso, a curandero, tries to teach Phillip how to make amends with Alacran; however, when Alacran enlists the aid of Coyote in his plot for revenge, Philip finds himself in a perilous game in which the stakes are his mortal soul.

So that's it, that's all I'm willing to let out of the bag right now.

What do I intend to do with the story when it's done?

As of right now, I can tell you that I will hit the NaNoWriMo goal long before the novel is actually done. When it's done it goes into the queue for revision, which will likely alter the original in extreme ways - it will be a piece of clay sculpture that needs to get fired and glazed. I will eventually produce a few copies for review; however, that will not happen until the story is edited, revised, and refined. I would rather allow friends to have the first crack at the story, so that might be a clue as to who will receive one when the drafts are ready.

When will that be?

I'm in no hurry. It will happen when it happens. As soon as NaNoWriMo is over I will go back to the other novel I was working on and hopefully finish that one with the new chops I acquire from participating in NaNoWriMo.

Back to the grind...

No comments:

Post a Comment