About Me

My photo
Dan Garcia resides in San Antonio, Texas, in a household ruled by a dog and a cat. These benign overlords allow Garcia, his wife, and two daughters to live with them so long as they are served unquestioningly. The dog and cat compel Garcia to write stories of imaginative fiction and fantasy; their rationale being: the potential for supplementary income from the sale of these stories means the possibility of more treats and toys for them. Thus, when not at work at the San Antonio Public Library, Garcia is permitted to craft his tales despite the fact that this activity limits his availability for scratching and petting. Hell-Kind is Garcia’s first novel which he was allowed to type because of his opposable thumbs and agile digits; the dog and cat did all of the actual heavy-lifting for the story, and are not particularly concerned with receiving credit for the book.

Saturday, May 26, 2012

Another Tool of the Trade...

I'm still reeling a bit from hitting the halfway mark, and I'm supposed to be taking a couple of days off for making progress (and because it's a holiday weekend); however, I scored a little something that I"m actually a bit excited about: a Logitech K400 wireless touch keyboard.  If you compose on a laptop you know why I bought a keyboard.  My HP laptop has a nice keyboard, but typing on a laptop keyboard for an extended amount of time can get really painful after a while... especially if, like me, you have some kind of repetitive motion injury.

Now this is a small keyboard that I can put on my lap, or on a board, or on a cushion (like right now) -- I can sit back, I can stretch out, I can move around and still type away... I can belly down on the floor with it; I can take it to he kitchen table while I eat (I'm 100% sure my wife would not appreciate that)... you get the point, and that is: anything to make writing more comfortable.

It's important, I can't stress it enough: if you are going to write on a computer (even if, like me, you are doing it mostly for fun) you should do what you can to make it as comfortable and enjoyable an experience as possible.  Suffer for your art intellectually, not physically... once you jack up your hands, they don't come back... and surgery is expensive, so that means it's best avoided.  Little tools like this are an investment in your ability to keep creating, and they're not particularly expensive... I paid around $40 for this little thing, and I'm already seeing a return on my investment.

Okay, so I'm officially off for the next two days (I have to work tomorrow... the real job, but that doesn't count... the break is from writing), and tomorrow my wife and I are headed to Austin to see Sparta in concert.  Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend, and don't forget to take a moment to honor those who died protecting our freedom; raise a glass and toast.  Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment